Friday, June 20, 2008

work....

I'm feeling a little frustrated at work and I'm afraid my behavior is showing. I tend to hold things in if I'm mad or upset about something at work. I don't want to make a scene and I try to make the best of things. Now don't think I'm a push over or anything I just really try to avoid conflict with people at work because... I mean I have to see these people everyday so I should try and play nice.

So my situation is this, I am planning an employee retreat that everyone is required to go to. It's not to discipline people... they honestly asked for it!! Well I've been getting a lot of grief because people don't want to go. People are telling me left and right - so and so said this, and I'm really trying to get out of this because I really don't want to go. I don't get it. I am giving everyone a free ticket to get out of the office and for one whole day, taking them to an offsight facility not even associated with work, feeding them breakfast AND lunch, offering everyone to dress as casual as they want, and they get paid!! What could be better than that? The thing is I'm excited to do this retreat and I feel like my efforts will be fruitless. I want people to be relaxed and just have a good time. Forget about work, stress, deadlines, whatever. Sadly I don't think that will be the case. I just desperately want people to enjoy this and I don't know how to make it sound fun! Or at least I don't think people are getting it. Lord! Who knew people could be so darn negative about something so positive and simple. Seriously, people think I am going to be analyzing them and taking notes to bring back information to divulge to their manager. C'mon. Not only that but the managers are asking me random questions like - so what are you going to do if people have sidebar conversations? -or- what if someone falls asleep?

So anyway, needless to say I'm frustrated and I'm trying to stay positive but it's really hard when I'm constantly in a negative crowd and everyone keeps trying to defeat me. *sigh* Wish me luck...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

People at work blow!!! I would let your boss know that people are giving you this much grief about it, and that your intentions are/were to put together a really simple and FUN day, but that all of a sudden you're getting so much negative feedback that you don't think it's even going to be worth it anymore. I mean, that's kind of what happens here. Poor Tom, our HR manager, has tried 3 times over the last two years to get an Athletic Department Picnic going, and no one ever wants to go! Seriously! I think it would be a blast, but when all you get is negative feedback it just ruins the whole idea. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having to put up with people's crappy attitudes. Talk to your manager though. She seems like she's a listener!

Jamie said...

Trust me girl, my manager knows! But we're hoping that once they actually get there and they see "I'm not out to get them" that maybe they'll lighten up and have a good time. We shall see! :)

Jamie said...

oh and thanks for commenting girl... you're the only one that does!!

Shauna said...

That is soooo not true. I comment a LOT! :) And I ALWAYS read EVERY blog. So there. :)

Anyway - what I would do is plan a fantastic event and say, "Screw them" and those that do attend will have a BLAST and those that don't will be sorry that they didn't and then they'll be dying to go next year. :) You'll do a great job! You're fun!

Anonymous said...

awww girl, i am so sorry that you are feeling frustrated with this whole situation! no matter what, people find it necessary to bitch about something! UGH. how rude. they should be grateful...
i know that you have been working very hard on this! hang in there...
i love ya and cannot wait to see you :)

Anonymous said...

jamie:
i would go on the retreat ! if your planning it it has to be fun tell th lamos to chill and go have a good time. MIkey

p.s quit worring so much its un healthy ! ha lo l