Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bored

I feel terrible saying this but I am bored to tears at work. I honestly don't know what it is I am supposed to be doing.... now I know that is a very risky thing to say but it's the truth. I've been in this new job/position of mine since late October and I had a few very busy months but now? I'm really having trouble finding things to do! Now don't think I haven't gone to my boss and said "Give me something to do!" I've done that. She gives me work I ask for more on top of that because I know whatever she gives me isn't going to take long to do. I've asked if she needs help with anything... I've asked some of the other managers if they need help with anything. They all say no. I'm a little worried. My job title is "Training Coordinator." I train people on computer systems, update old policy and procedures, train new people coming into the department.... things like that. I usually have a meeting with my boss (the director of our department) and we go over tasks and she gives me more things to do.... I guess maybe I'm still too new to be able to make work for myself? Or I don't know where to begin to start a new project on a whim. So she gives me a handleful or less of things to work on and off I go. When done I ask her if she needs help with anything but she is so busy she can't even give me things to do! I have this policy and procedure project I'm continually working on but it's so mind- numbing I want to stick a fork in my eye just to entertain myself. The highlight of my work week is going to meetings, interviews, out to lunch, anything so I don't have to sit at my desk and twiddle my thumbs. I hate being like this. My last job I was insanely busy. I didn't even have time to go to lunch or time to go to any meeting, the phone would ring non-stop, and then I would stay late to get my work done. (I'm sorry Meredith you still have to deal with that.) I've done a complete 180! The people I work with now are super nice and helpful and it's not that I don't like my job because I do! When I have something to do that is. Like I said I feel terrible for saying this but I feel worthless to this department and I know I could be doing much more.... or can I? Maybe there just isn't enough work in this job to keep me busy? I really am a good worker bee so this is just agonizing.

So I guess if you were in my shoes what would YOU do?

1 comment:

Shauna said...

I would listen (sorta eavesdrop) to coworkers say, "Hey - we should...blah blah blah." Or the boss say, "You know what we need...blah blah blah." And then jump on it. Don't tell anyone you're doing it - just do it. A little gift. Then, once they know you've taken initiative, I bet lots (hopefully not too many) of things will fly your way.