- About 80% of the clutter in your home or office is a result of disorganization, not lack of space.
- It costs an average of $10/square foot to store items in your home.
- Americans waste more than nine million hours each day looking for lost and misplaced articles.
- 80 percent of papers that are filed are never referenced again.
I also found this article I thought was quite funny.... you should definitely check it out. It doesn't necessarily help but it adds humor to the subject. :)
So after all of this I'm definitely going to "de-clutter" my house.
My list of things to get rid of:
- The ten million books I own and have already read and will probably never read again. (I'll donate those or something....anyone want some good books? Go to Goodreads and see what I have and you can have it!!!!! or borrow if I decide I can't part with it. haha.)
- The pew bows I kept from our wedding that are hiding underneath the shelves in the basement... their probably turning yellow as we speak.
- The old prom/bridesmaid dresses that I'll NEVER wear again.
- The hundreds and hundreds of CD's that we own but don't listen to anymore because we've copied them onto our computer and listen to them that way.
- My old school books from college and papers I've written.
- Put photos in photo book or scrap book!
- Paint cans - by doing some touch up painting around the house to use that last little bit up.
- Bed Sheets - my taste has changed... out with the old (I already have the new! :) )
- I really need to tidy up our kitchen. We seriously have NO room to even put food in our cupboards and I know we don't use half of the dishes or even some of the food that's already in it..... it's getting pitched or purged somehow!
- and finally..... Clean up the unfinished side of the basement! SO MUCH CLUTTER.....
ahhhh..... well it feels good to make a list of all of the things I want to do and I firmly believe I will do it. I'll keep you updated to make sure I stay on track. Anyone want to join in on the fun with me? What are TEN things you can get rid of or you can do in general to declutter your life??? I want to know! :)
3 comments:
This is my favorite post so far. I am anti-clutter to the max!! Just last week I cleaned out our spice cabinet and threw away more than half of what was in there. I found a jar of paprika from 2000!!! EEWWWWWWWW!!! I also clean out my fridge monthly. I dont let shit sit in there long at all. I clean out my clothes closet every spring and fall (i buy new stuff constantly) and I just gave 3 boxes of dishes to Dan!!
Next on my list to do:
1. use all of my old shower soaps and body washes and buy all organic stuff
2.drink the rest of the pop in the house and then not buy more.
3.buy storage containers to fit under the bed and put sweaters and out of season clothes in them
4.clean out the cubby under the stairs. We dont have a basement, so that is where all our junk goes.
5. buy a door knocker, we dont have one!
6.buy a storage bin for our patio furniture cusions. They are sitting next to our computer right now and they are bugging the crap out of me!!
7. Clean out the shelf in the laundry room and get rid of the chemicals and BULLSHIT that we dont ever use. It takes up so much space.
Those are the only things i can think of right now. I am sure I will think of more as time goes on. My house is constantly a work in progress!
Love you james!
ooooh girl!!! DON'T.... I repeat... DON'T just give your books away! You can seriously get a shit load of money from Half Price Books if you take a few boxes there!!! No kidding - whenever I clean out my music and literary libraries I take all that stuff there. I've taken a few stacks and gotten about $15... I can imagine what you'd get if you gave them the good chunk of all your CDs and books!!!
Anyway... I'd love to help you clean stuff out any time. :) I love to organize stuff! Since you're inspiring others, like Valerie, here is my list of 10 things:
1. Finish the photo project I started two years ago by getting rid of unneccesary pictures and throwing out nasty looking photo albums.
2. Finish my mom's baby picture book my sister and I started for her 7 years ago!!!
3. Clean out my bookshelf and lose the books I don't read.
4. Take the shit in my trunk to Goodwill once and for all.
5. Look into purchasing a decent couch for myself in the coming years - I reeeeeeeeeeally don't want to move my hand-me-down pull-out couch downstairs again... no offense James!
6. Clean out my file cabinet and throw away all my old bills that have been paid for 4 years.
7. Frame a poster of Grand Central Station that is an awkward size.
8. Figure out whether to keep my old Hard Rock Cafe shotglasses or donate them to some frat house on campus. ;)
9. It's close to spring time again, so go through my closets and add to the Goodwill pile.
10. Get rid of the crap in my bathroom drawers that never gets used!
I'm sure I could come up with more, but those are certainly some things I could start with.
KATHY! Don't donate your Hard Rock shot glasses to "some frat house" - donate them to me! I collect them - I have 54! (shot glasses) 2 or 3 of them are Hard Rock - but I have some glasses, too. I'd love to have them if you're just going to pitch them!! :)
Jamie - Great job on the clean out. Unfortunately, I don't think I have 10 things currently - but I have a few:
1. Scrapbook photos of my grandma who passed away last year.
2. Go through jewelry (real and costume) and throw away stuff that has turned, etc.
3. (Does this count...) Clean out oven. :)
Post a Comment